Saturday, June 29, 2013

From Amalia, June 27th

Just a note by proxy to let all of you know that our research team has arrived safely in Nueva Vida and started work here! We've been in town and I've been collecting data for just under two weeks (I'm writing on June 27), but this is the first opportunity I've had to send a message with someone to Iquitos and thereby to the Internet.

 

My health has been good, the weather has been disgusting, and the work has been very productive. I'm about 20% done with the field season here and, I would estimate, 35% done with the part that will involve collection of substantial new data. For the last two weeks, I've been exclusively collecting and transcribing oral texts – mostly traditional oral narratives and descriptions of how people celebrated festivals, did subsistence tasks, and so on in the "old days."

 

I'm continuing with that data collection through July 23, with a four-day break in mid-July to go to the annual congress of the Máíhuna indigenous federation. Then I'll be working through August 7 at the project's linguistics workshop for Máíhɨ̃ki speakers, and after that I'll have one more week of data collection before we pack up and go back to Iquitos on August 16.

 

Look for a recap of the congress in mid-July, and goodbye until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment